What are my top five ways to get motivated about exercise?
- Start working with a personal trainer who kicks your butt, but who you also enjoy seeing. Hello!? Sign up with an Aurora Baycare personal trainer!
- Go try on some swimsuits! Yep, they’re out there already in stores! Once you see what all the comfort foods and cookies have done to your butt all winter, you’ll want to work out for the next 10 hours. I know I did!
- Plan exercise time with friends or coworkers before or after work. (And, how great is it to have the Aurora Baycare Sports Medicine Center in our community?)
- Let your kids drive you completely up the wall for a few hours, and then remember those lovely childcare facilities at the YMCA and some other gyms!! Hand those kids over and get your workout on!
- Commit to doing something as crazy as a triathlon or a 5K! That way, you will have something that you are working toward. There are some really great 5K’s for charities, of course, and some that serve beer or pancakes at the end!
(Are they really going to be serving margaritas after the triathlon — or did I dream that?)
Seriously, I have found that once you just get over that hump of starting an exercise routine, it will easily become a habit. The reasons I listed are just some of the things that got me going!
Definitely having friends or family that motivate you to exercise, and even do it with you, helps a lot. Having the six pack team is a great motivator for me. We are all in the same boat, trying to prepare for this triathlon. It is great to be able to encourage one another, and share triumphs and frustrations. Also, just working out with a group makes me work harder than I would on my own. Maybe I am just a little competitive. I don’t really need to be the fastest, but there’s no way I would give up and start walking if I see everyone around me running!
So, get some friends and go to a class at the Y or at Aurora. Or sign up for a 5K in the summer with a bunch of friends, or with your spouse and kids. Work with a personal trainer periodically to help you train for your event, or do it on your own while your kids play in the childcare area. My kids might just be there too! Look for the four year old dressed in his Batman shirt with the cape! I make it a point to not wear my Batman costume out, but he likes to wear his just about everyday.
I feel like Superwoman when I work out — even if I’m not in costume.
Six Aurora BayCare Medical Center employees have embarked on a wellness challenge that will change their lives forever! Over the next six months, these people will be coached, trained and transformed into triathlon-level athletes through the Aurora BayCare Sports Medicine Live Fit program.
To start your customized training program, contact us at 920-288-5400.