Obesity is on the rise worldwide. Since 1980, global obesity has more than doubled. In 2010, nearly 43 million children below the age of 5 were overweight. If things don’t change now, by 2035 the U.S. economy will literally be weighed down with healthcare costs for a generation that should be healthy, vibrant and productive.
That’s the bad news.
Here’s the good news!
Obesity is preventable. So how can we help our children and ourselves?
- Encourage kids to pack a lunch or eat school lunches. Students allowed off-campus during lunch increase their caloric intake substantially when they eat fast food.
- Educate yourself and ask questions. Use your time wisely when at the doctor’s office. Come up with a list of questions regarding your or your child’s health and ask away. Bring a notepad and pen to record the information you find helpful.
- Get fit and have fun together. Join a local gym as family and workout together.
- Set an example every day. Write, speak and live the healthy lifestyle example daily. Teach your kids how to eat healthy and play in a fun and imaginative way.
- Award points. Points redeemable toward non-food items are a great incentive for adults and children alike. Make a list of items that are redeemable according to the amount of activity performed.
With just a few changes to your daily habits, you and your family can be on the road to better health!
Whether you’re a competitive athlete or a weekend warrior, Aurora BayCare Sports Medicine’s experts will put you on top of your game. To start your customized training program, contact us at 920-288-5400.