Are you making time for exercise each day? If not, ask yourself, why?
Do yourself a favor and fit in fitness to your daily routine. Look at your schedule and identify opportunities for physical activity-and take advantage of them. This is the key to becoming more active.
Here are some tips:
- Get off public transportation a few stops early and walk the rest of the way to your destination.
- In safe areas, park your car at the back, or on the lowest level of garages and parking lots to increase your walk or climb.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator. To get started, ride the elevator to a midway point and climb the rest of the way. Add more floors as you build stamina.
- Walk to lunch spots at a distance from your office instead of always frequenting the corner cafe.
- Allow time to walk to meetings.
- Join a local gym and work out during lunch, or before or after work. A well-timed workout can give you a needed second wind.
- Take advantage of speaker phone, and get up and move around during calls. Standing burns more calories than sitting down.
- Take a water cooler workout. Get up to refill your water cup. You need at least eight cups of fluid each day to keep hydrated.
- Enjoy activities with friends and family – go dancing or bowling instead of to the movies.
- Sign up for a community sports team – you’ll meet new people, have fun and get in shape at the same time.
- Treat yourself to an exercise class. Classes at the sports center are offered morning, noon and night for members convenience.
- Don’t drive up to the supermarket – carry your groceries to your parked car, and unload the bags at home.
- Walk within your work building using stairs to go between floors. You can walk miles this way, no matter what the weather!
- Lose your remote control. Get up to change channels on your television, or to select a radio station or compact disc.
Start small: try one tip every day for the next 14 days.
And most importantly, share your tips with us — so we can help others live fit and live well!
Whether you’re a competitive athlete or a weekend warrior, Aurora BayCare Sports Medicine’s experts will put you on top of your game. To start your customized training program, contact us at 920-288-5400.